Wednesday, September 16, 2009

How I eat to keep my belly full but my waist trim.


A few weeks ago I was thinking about different ways to change my eating habits. I've been eating the same way for about 5 years now and it comes as no surprise that as a result not much has changed in the way I look. Nobody likes squishyness on them, right?

However, one thing my wife and I started was to cut back on eating grains after lunch. Why?

Grains provide plenty of carbohydrates for energy. High quality grains are like a high quality racing gasoline. The stuff can really improve your bodies performance!!

But as the day wears on and we get closer and closer to sleep we don't need as much fuel. As the evening draws closer we don't need as many grains to provide energy. After all, I am usually asleep by 9-9:30.

So to eat a huge pasta dish for dinner when I will be going to bed 3 hours afterwards doesn't make much sense. Rather at that point in the day our bodies need protein, minerals and vitamins to aid in our recovery during sleep.

If I were to eat that huge bowl of pasta, I would have lots of fuel and no use for it. So what would my body do with it? Most likely store it. And when things get stored, they are stored as fat. Sure at night I still use calories, but i've got enough fuel in the form of fat that I don't need to "carb up" for a long nights sleep. When we eat grains at night, this is essentially what we are doing.

So try it for a few weeks and see if you notice a difference. Remember, I DID NOT SAY NO CARBS. ONLY NO GRAINS. YOU STILL NEED LOTS AND LOTS OF VEGGIES AND FRUIT TO GET VITAMINS AND MINERALS.

Then in the morning feel free to have a grain filled breakfast to give you fuel to get through the day. Let me know how it goes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment